- Before burning, always trim the wick to ¼ inch. You can use a wick trimmer, nail clippers, or scissors. Long or crooked wicks can cause uneven burning, dripping or flaring.
- Keep the wax pool clear of wick trimmings, matches and debris at all times.
- Always use a candleholder specifically designed for candle use. It should be heat resistant, sturdy, and large enough to contain any drips or melted wax.
Burn candles in a well-ventilated room:
- Avoid drafts, vents or air currents. This will help prevent rapid or uneven burning, sooting, and excessive dripping.
- Follow the manufacturer’s recommendations on burn time and proper use. In general, it is recommended that candles do not burn for longer than four hours and cool for at least two hours before relighting.
- When lighting a candle, use long matches or a long-reach lighter. Keep your hair and loose clothing away from the flame.
- Never leave a candle unattended.
- Never burn a candle on or near anything that can catch fire. Keep burning candles away from furniture, drapes, bedding, carpets, books, paper, flammable decorations, etc.
- Keep candles out of the reach of children and pets. Do not place lighted candles where they can be knocked over by children, pets or anyone else.
- Never touch or move a candle while it is burning or while the wax is liquefied.
- Don’t burn a candle all the way down. For a margin of safety, discontinue burning a candle when 1/2 inch remains in the container or 2 inches if using a pillar candle.
- Place burning candles at least three inches apart from one another. This is to make sure they don’t melt one another, or create their own drafts that will cause the candles to burn improperly.
- Extinguish a candle if the flame becomes too high or flickers repeatedly. Let the candle cool, trim the wick, and check for unwanted drafts before re-lighting.
- Never use a candle as a night light or while you may fall asleep.
- Be very careful if using candles during a power outage. Flashlights and other battery-powered lights are safer sources of light during a power failure. Never use a candle during a power outage to look for things in a closet, or when fueling equipment – such as a lantern or kerosene heater.
When Extinguishing a Candle:
- Use a candle snuffer to extinguish a candle. It’s the safest way to prevent hot wax from splattering.
- Never use water to extinguish a candle. Water can cause the hot wax to splatter and might break a glass container.
- Make sure the candle is completely out and the wick ember is no longer glowing before leaving the room.
- Don’t touch or move the candle until it has completely cooled.
- Never use a knife or sharp object to remove wax drippings from a glass holder. It might scratch, weaken, or cause the glass to break upon subsequent use.
- Keep candle free of any foreign materials including matches and wick trimmings.
- Only burn your candle on a level, fire resistant surface.
- Keep out of reach of children and pets.
- Never burn a candle on or near anything that can catch fire.
- The first burn is the most important.
- When you light your candle for the first time always allow the wax to burn so that it melts across the entire surface to the edges of the container.
- This will effectively assist in preventing “tunnelling” and help promote an even burn for the duration of the candles life.
Trim Your Wick
- Trim wick to 6mm ( 1/4 inch) before lighting your candle.
- Before relighting your candle remove any carbon build up on the wick ( I use a tissue but you can also use a wick trimmer)
- Leaving your wick untrimmed and laden with leftover carbon leads to a duller light that is more likely to produce smoke and blacken you candle jar.
- Keep candle away from drafts and vibrations around the home so as not to disturb the flame and help keep an even clean burn.
- For safety reasons DO NOT BURN YOUR CANDLE MORE THAN 4 HOURS AT A TIME.
Extinguishing Your Candle.
- Using a “wick dipper” to extinguish your candle will eliminate smoking.
- Using the “wick dipper” fold over the wick into the hot wax and the hot wax will immediately put out the flame without emitting any smoke. Use your “wick dipper” to pull the wick back out of the wax.